Thursday, November 29, 2012

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken with "Fried" Rice

My husband and I LOVE Chinese food.. mmmm! But I do NOT love the calories that generally come with Chinese food. 
So after browsing Pinterest, I found a recipe worth trying and boy was it worth it!

This picture is actually of two servings. I had a lot of extra points left for the day (how in the heck does that happen?) & I had ran twice that day, so I was hungry!

 

I found this recipe from this blog.

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken: (7 WW+)

Chicken Coating:
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
1 cup cornstarch (I didn't even use it all, so I'd start with 1/2cup and add more if needed)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

Sweet and sour sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
I added a couple squirts of hot sauce because I looooove me some spiciness ;)


Preheat your oven to 325 Degrees.
Dip chicken into cornstarch and then eggs.  
Heat the oil in a saucepan and lightly brown the chicken breasts, not cooking all of the way.
Place lightly browned chicken into 9X13 baking dish.

Mix all of the sweet & sour sauce ingredients in a bowl & pour over the chicken.
Bake the chicken for one hour, turning every 15 minutes. 


SOOOOO GOOD!!!!
My husband made the rice because I was tired of cooking after the tedious chicken steps (even though it's worth it). 


"Fried" Rice 
3 cups brown rice 
3 tbs olive oil
1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
Garlic (as much as you want- we like a lot)

On medium high heat, heat the oil in a wok.  Add the peas, onion and garlic. Cook until tender. 
Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side, then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and cook until scrambled.
 Add the rice and soy sauce and blend all together well. 
Cook until thoroughly heated.
Enjoy!


What are your favorite Chinese recipes?






1 comment: