Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sweet Tater Black Bean Burger

I prepared a new recipe I found off of my Pinterest.
Here's a few pictures of my cooking. If you scroll down, you'll see the recipe.


1.5LBS of cubed sweet potatoes:

Black beans (1/2 mashed into paste like and 1/2 semi- mashed):

Quinoa before cooking:
The remainder of the quinoa that I'll use in another recipe later this week:

Hubby and I not too sure about the quinoa (I've never heard of it before this recipe):
Again, not too sure:
Final product- looks delicious:
Packaged them and put them in the freezer for later in the week (don't mind the Christmas container, ha!):

Dessert I brought over to my parents for after dinner tonight- Chocolate covered strawberries and pretzels:
Here's the recipe (great blog):
  • 15oz black beans, drained + rinsed
  • 3c cubed sweet tater, cooked with the skin on [~1.5lbs]
  • 1/2 of medium onion finely chopped onion
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1/2c cooked quinoa
  • 6T rolled oats, partially ground
  • 2T sunflower seeds
  • black pepper
  • 1t cumin
  • 1t oregano
  • 1/4t coriander
  • 1t chili powder
  • 1T olive oil
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 once you finish cooking the quinoa and the potatoes.
  2. Mash half of the beans in a bowl until paste-like.
  3. Add in the rest of the beans and give a very light stir/mash to combine.
  4. In a large bowl, mash the sweet tater. Each cube should be mashed, but you don’t want it creamy.
  5. Stir in the salt, pepper, oregano, coriander, chili powder, and olive oil, until combined.
  6. Mix in the onion, garlic, corn, black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and ground oats, until just combined.
  7. Form into balls, between your hands and flatten into 1/2”-3/4” thick patties. This should make 8 patties.
  8. Place on a pan lined with parchment paper [or lightly greased pan] and bake on each side for 15min, flipping once, half-way through.
  9. Remove from oven and serve!
Makes 8 patties. They are 4 WW+ (without the bun).

2 comments:

  1. Quinoa is so yummy! I use it all the time. Plus it's a complete protein :)Did you see my Quinoa Pizza? http://runningonveg.blogspot.com/search/label/pizza

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use quinoa as a great sub for any rice dish. I put it in burritos, tacos, cook it with shrimp...so tasty

    also makes a great sub for oatmeal in the morning.

    ReplyDelete